Saturday 5 May 2012

Romeo and Juliet Review

Romeo and Juliet Review
Romeo and Juliet is set to the score by Sergei Prokofiev and is based on the synopsis by Adrian Piotrovsky as a ballet production it has had enduring popularity. I thoroughly enjoyed this production it was very different to any other productions I had seen because it had a complex storyline however the storyline was still being shown through dance and mime. I liked the way this was a character and storyline led piece each dance had a meaning unlike the fun production of La fille mal gardee where they danced for the sake of dancing.
I liked the use of colour within the production I felt that they all worked together, even though there was a contrast in colour between the peasants and nobility they complimented each other well. I felt however, that the costumes worn by Rosaline and her friends at the market place were in such different style to that which they wore to the party that I didn’t realise it was the same characters. I felt it was clever how a lot of the costumes were repeats with a few accessory and colour changes. The costume worn by Juliet at the balacony scene was beautiful it flowed so well as she moved and also showed her innocence and fragility.
That dance scene between Romeo and Juliet was so powerful the emotion they conveyed and build up to their first kiss. The way Romeo danced with her sleeping/lifeless body was also very emotional.
I however, did not enjoy Tybalts death it was very drawn out when it had no need to be his mothers mourning was also a bit excessive.

No comments:

Post a Comment