Friday 18 May 2012

Pinning and sewing on the decoration

Pinning and sewing on the decoration

The decoration allowed me to develop my understanding of interpreting a design as I looked at Mark’s design and his costume to give me an idea as to how I should place the decoration. It also helps to train my eye to work out a shape which flatters and enhances the shape of the dancer.
I decided that I wanted the shape of my decoration to be wider at the bust to go in at the waist at then flare out across the tutu.


I like the shape at the bust however so it doesn’t look like too much of a straight line I think I might flare it out across the bodice down to the skirt more because at the minute it is only coming from one point I think it needs to be more spread out. I am however, really pleased with how the colour I mixed looks on the bodice it stands out well when the petals are close together, but then is very suitable on its own. To create the curves of the petals I pinned one end and then pulled around and pinned the other end.
This is how my decoration developed;
 





 
Sewing on the decoration with invisible thread has been interesting as I have never, used this thread before, it is very slippery and it is hard to cast on however, because it is invisible it is not hard to make the backstitch neat. It is just very time consuming task. However, I really enjoy this element of the costume because I could be creative. Also I could now see the costume taking shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment