Thursday 3 May 2012

Research Regency Period Puffed sleeves

Research Regency Period Puffed sleeves

These costumes from Pride and Prejudice 1980 have beautiful sleeves particularly the pink dress. I like the way it uses petal like shapes this would look lovely for a fairy for the ballet.



I like Jane’s sleeves (gold dress) the pointed edge would be good sleeves for a country girl the use of different fabrics compared to the one above which is a much softer fabric makes the costume look less delicate.

The ladies sleeves are beautiful they have so much volume they would create a very dramatic silhouette on stage.






I like the way these sleeves appear to be pleated and puffed out this gives a very delicate feel to the whole costume.
These types of puffed sleeves would often be used to portray young country girls as can be seen from this costume from the ballet Giselle. To help add the puffed sleeve hold its shape a under sleeve would be used. The shape used for ballet sleeves are different to a normal pattern because the arm hole is higher so the sleeve head is shallower but the width is wider. So I want to draft a sleeve in this style, as it will help my historical knowledge, as well as develop my learning in how to draft a pattern. The style was also popular in the ballets that Degas drew which particularly inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment